Thinkpad drive noise [was Re: Thinkpad Hidden Partition & MBR]

Jochen Gensch incmc at gmx.de
Sat Sep 25 12:04:44 PDT 2004

George Hartzell wrote:

> When I first got the machine, it was totally silent.
>
> Now, I hear disk noises.  I think that the disk is trying to park its
> head, and/or spin down to save power, but something keeps touching it
> and it has to restart.
>
> I've been down this road before w/ a previous laptop and didn't have
> much luck figuring it out.  It's just a "dink", followed a short time
> later by a "ssssshhhh-tunk" (yep, sounds *just* like that...).

As far as I remmeber there is a program, located at the ibm website,
with which one you can adjust the power management of your IBM hard
drive. I used it myself once to get rid of this speeding up / down
issue. You are right, it is a power management feature. So I just set it
to no power save in there, that kept the drive at constant sound.

Hope that helps...

Jochen