ifconfig lockup

ceo at l-i-e.com ceo at l-i-e.com
Tue Sep 21 21:04:33 PDT 2004

This is an update (and re-re-titled) post... Sorry.

If you've been following my trevails, the updated part is the link at the bottom.

If not, here's a synopsis:

I'm trying to get FreeBSD 5.2.1 on my Dell Inspiron 700m laptop.

The network interface is a "Broadcom 4401-B0"

The BFE driver supports "Broadcom 4401" and/or "Broadcom 440x" depending on what you read.  source/docs, respectively.

The PHY for both is 0x36 -- Michael Chan of Broadcom was kind enough to respond to email plea and send me output displaying that.

The vendor_id's match, or course.

The device_id's don't, as one would expect.

So I added a couple lines to /usr/src/sys/dev/bfe/if_bfe* to identify the hardware device id 170c as using the BFE driver. (Thanks to folks on -questions)

Adding hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1 to /boot/loader.conf since that seems de reguire for laptops, and all my devices (cardbus, ethernet, WiFi, Firewire/1493) were complaining at boot about failures to get register memory.

Whoo Hooo!

I have devices!

But as soon as I try to configure the network, LOCK UP!

Happens with sysinstall->post-install->network->bfe0
Happens with "ifconfig bfe0 192.168.1.111"

Completely locks up, and nothing but complete power-loss will stop it.  With hard drive mounted, that's not so good...

Repeatable, the few times I've tried.  I'm not real keen on abusing the hard drive this way...

While holding the power button for 5 seconds does turn off the laptop without physically pulling out the battery and cord, it doesn't un-mount the hard drive or anything like that. :-(

Any advice?

You can find dmesg output, var/log/messages, altered sources, loader.conf, rc.conf at:

http://www.phpbootcamp.com/articles/inspiron700m/hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range/
(may have wrapped)

I'm pretty stumped what to try next, preferably without locking up the machine again...