switching to usb kbd and mouse

Julian H. Stacey jhs at flat.berklix.net
Tue Sep 14 03:04:18 PDT 2004

Randy Bush wrote:
> so i boot my thinkpad t40p with normal keyboard and touchpad mouse.
> i decide to go to usb mouse and keyboard.  it seems to work to move
> the mouse by just killing moused and restarting it as
>
>     moused -p /dev/ums0 -t auto
>
> but how to i move the keyboard to usb?
>
> randy

Here's part of my (working) /etc/usbd.conf

device  "jhs Buddy (TM) PS/2 Keyboard-PS/2 Mouse - Cypress Semiconductor"
        vendor  0x04b4
        product 0x8328
        release 0x0001
        attach  "kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 -l us.unix < /dev/console;/usr/X11R6/bin/xmodmap -display laps:0 /home/jhs/public_html/dots/.xmodmap/toshiba.s5100-603.init"
        detach  "kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 -l uk.iso < /dev/console;/usr/X11R6/bin/xmodmap -display laps:0 /home/jhs/public_html/dots/.xmodmap/english"
        # Adaptor also has a mouse socket, not used as I use a USB mouse.
        #       External keyboard is American layout.
        #       Internal keyboard is English with black keycaps, can't be relabelled.
        # usbd starts before xdm, so xmodmap fails after reboot,
        # but after boot, if adapter is unplugged & replugged it should be OK.
        #       dmesg during attach reports:    device names: ukbd0,ums1
        # devname       "ums[0-9]+"
-
Julian Stacey.  Unix,C,Net & Sys. Eng. Consultant, Munich.  http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii, Html dumped as Spam.  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.