Cannot load speaker.ko

Phil Schulz ph.schulz at gmx.de
Sun Sep 5 07:12:09 PDT 2004

Hello List!

  When trying to load device speaker using `kldload speaker` on my
laptop which runs FreeBSD 5.2.1-Release-p9, I get the following output
on the console and no /dev/speaker:

> Sep  5 15:30:44 mars kernel: fdc0: ready for input in output
> Sep  5 15:30:44 mars kernel: fdc0: cmd 3 failed at out byte 1 of 3

  When doing the same thing on my desktop, running 5.3-Beta2 from last
Monday, I get

> Sep  5 15:38:38 earth kernel: fdc0: cmd 3 failed at out byte 1 of 3
> Sep  5 15:38:38 earth kernel: device_attach: fdc0 attach returned 6
> Sep  5 15:38:38 earth kernel: speaker0 port 0x61 on acpi0

and I can access /dev/speaker.

  The only change to /sys/i386/isa/spkr.c between 5.2.1-Release and
5.3-Beta2 I can see seems to be the dev_t-to-struct cdev *-switch by
phk@, but I don't see how this would make a difference.

  This may sound dumb, but is it possible that there is not PC speaker
in my laptop? But pressing ctrl+f on the console makes the thing beep
quite loudly actually...

  What other ways are there to make a background application beep w/o
going through /dev/speaker? I tried curses' beep(3), but that somehow
doesn't work neither on my desktop nor on my laptop...

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

--
Did you know...

If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,
but what's worse is when you play it forward....
                                      ...it installs Windows 2000

   -- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org