IBM T30 and thermal problems

Tobias Roth roth at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Sep 1 08:48:21 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:13:31AM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Brad Groft wrote:
>
> > There was a post made -  subject line - by an individual outside of IBM
> > that did not have the authorization to do so.
> >
> > The information is IBM Confidential and needs to be removed.
> >
> > Please have someone contact me ASAP to discuss and to confirm that it has
> > been removed.
>
> Removed from what?

Probably from the mailing list archive. I remember that post, because it
was made in reply to one of my questions. If you google for
"IBM T30 and thermal problems" (including the quotation marks), you
will see the post.

It describes a known problem with IBM thinkpads. Sometimes, the mother-
board stops recognizing the ram module inserted in one of the slots.
This happened to me. My machine had 2x256MB. Some day, i noticed that
the OS only showed 256MB of available memory, and with swapping modules
around, I diagnosed this problem. My machine was still on warranty and
when IBM changed the system board, things were back to normal. I was just
lucky I noticed that something was broken while still being on warranty.
It's kind of hard to detect this when not using both slots, and if you
run out of warranty and then later want to add another dimm, you're out
of luck I guess.

The funny thing is that back then, I found lots of references to this
problem, lots of people seemed to have it. Now, all I can find is this
one last reference that is mentioned in the parent post.

It can't be that IBM succeeded in having all references to this problem
removed from the web? Of course, most likely I am just being paranoid and
I simply didn't look hard enough...

cheers, t.