Prism based PCMCIA wifi cards

Sean Welch Sean_Welch at alum.wofford.org
Wed Sep 1 06:32:41 PDT 2004

> the WPC since I barely know the right end of a soldering iron, so can
> anyone recommend a prism-based 802.11b card with either:
>
> a) a really powerful builtin antenna, or
> b) an external antenna jack

I've been using this one for 2 years with great success:

http://www.netgate.com/EL2511.html

Uder 5.2.1 it attaches as:

wi0: 802.11 address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:XXXXXXX
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary (1.1.0), Station (1.4.9)
wi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps

(I have of course replaced the addresses...)

There is also a version with an external antena which may be even
better.  Just click around on the site a bit.

Sean