SD card readers [was: X300 + USB DVD/CDRW + SD Card problem]

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 19:12:04 PDT 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:29:39 +0200, Tobias Roth <roth at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 03:22:00PM +0200, Thiemo Nordenholz wrote:
> >
> > Are SD cards supported by any free OS at all?
> >
> > I have recently started working on support for a SD card reader in my HP
> > Pavilion but then noticed very quickly that there seems to be no SD card
> > specification available unless an NDA with the SD Card Association...
> >
> > So I suppose reading SD cards directly on fBSD is just not possible -- my
> > suggestion would be an external card reader, usually USB. Please do correct
> > me if this is wrong, and I'd be happy go on searching for a way to access
> > Winbond W83L51xD  Cardreaders.
>
> any suggestions for such a device? i am about to buy a new digicam and
> the one i was looking at works with SD cards. my old cam used cf, those
> cards i was able to read with an el-cheapo pcmcia cf card reader.
>
> any chance there is a similar, supported device for SD cards? if not,
> what other (cheap) devices, eg USB readers, would work?

You happen to be in luck :p.  I just acquired such a device and am
LOVING it.  I got myself a Lexar JumpDrive Trio which handles SD and
MemSticks only, but is tiny like a jumpdrive.  I toss the SD card in
and can put it in my pocket.  It's at walmart or newegg for (IIRC) ~20
USD.  It's USB 2.0 enabled so its transfers are pretty speedy.  I must
say that I recommend it pretty highly.  I was after one for my laptop
so portability was high on my list, so maybe if you are at a desktop
machine you would want something larger or that handles more formats.
Almost irregardless, though, the usb SD readers just register as usb
mass storage devices and are remarkably standard.
--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.