ACPI differences 4.10 - 5.3, laptop problem

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 30 12:15:23 PST 2004

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 04:21 am, Espen Tagestad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have run FreeBSD 4 on my laptop for a couple of years know, and as
> ACPI was included in 4.9 (or was it 4.10) I was quite satisfied with the
> situation. Now, I've upgraded to 5.3 on ACPI is no longer working. With
> acpi enabled, the laptop starts but after 10-15 seconds it stops and
> won't respond to anything. Currently it runs without ACPI with the
> thermal coolers on full speed. It's irritating, and it'll probably eat
> up the batteries much faster than running with ACPI.

Just a note: ACPI in 4.x is mostly a joke (I know, I did the backport).  All
it really does is make sure the power button works as well as the timer and
maybe simple CPU throttling.  The thermal stuff might work (fan control,
etc.) but it's not guaranteed.  ACPI in 5.x is much more mature though it
seems to have a problem on your particular machine.  Can you boot a 5.x
kernel with ACPI enabled over a serial console to capture the dmesg to a log
and e-mail it back?