How do Dell-Notebooks work with FreeBSD (video/audio/wlan)?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Sun Nov 28 11:22:16 PST 2004

I have a Dell Latitude D800 under FreeBSD 5.3.  This Dell was, I think,
not quite the latest as I bought it on sale.

The GeForce FX Go5200 with the 1680x1050 screen (I think that I have the
older version of the screen) works well with the nv driver, although I
had to do some googling to find the mode line for that resolution.  I
could never get the nvidia driver to work - it would always make the
computer freeze, although someone else told me that they could get it to
work with FreeBSD 4.x.

The sound works, but I haven't listened to it enough to decide if it is
really good.

The Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card works somewhat with the
ndis0 driver, but the only way to get it to work is to put the
appropriate commands in /etc/rc.conf and reboot - I haven't found a way
to make it work without the reboot.  But with the reboot I was able to
get it to work.

Overall a pleasant experience, but the road wasn't totally smooth in
getting it to work.

Stephen