[speedstep] Testers wanted

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 14:03:21 PST 2004

> I know there is an est package for Pentium-M, but it doesn't work with
> P3-M.  Clive said there is an ichist kernel module, and the module
> works on my X23.  But there is not such thing like estctrl, so I spend
> some time to modify it into ichistctl.
>
> The source tarball is avaiable at
> http://svn.ntcu.net/~plasma/ichctrl.tar.gz:
>
>   wget -O - http://svn.ntcu.net/~plasma/ichctrl.tar.gz | \
>     tar xzvf -
>   cd ichctrl
>   make
>
> Make sure you have loaded ichist.ko.  Then you could run './ichctrl
> -v' to see how it works.  Ichctrl should work wheter you have acpi or
> apm enabled.

I'm using acpi and have ichist loaded.  This program seems to be very
successful in setting the sysctl variable that ichist uses.  This is a
great step towards an add-on application for speedstepping, a good
temporary solution before (as I've heard it) moving this functionality
into the kernel.  Hopefully ichist gets worked on soon so's it begins
to save a bit of the ol' battery life.  It would be nice to finally
get more than the 3 - 4 hours that I've been getting in fBSD.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.