heard on the grapevine...

Jules Gilbert julesg at newebmail.com
Mon Nov 22 02:31:12 PST 2004

A friend of mine was recently contacted by DELL.

They offered him a 45-day free trial of a dynamite laptop, based on 1920
pixels on a side, and AMD 64-bit internals, running at 2.2Ghz.  A
battery consisting of 12 cells, instead of the usual 8, which they claim
will support four hours of use.

Probably, it's a decent system.

For free.  For 45 days.

Apparently, DELL has changed their marketing habits.

I have a 32-bit Inspiron, model 1150, which doesn't play well with
FreeBSD at all!  I can't use the built-in winModem, and it has some
other issues, too.

My point:  I expect that we need to contact DELL and get them to make
things a little easier for the FreeBSD community -- because I found my
Inspiron so difficult to support that I had to go back to a split disk,
with some portion lost to XP.  But if we were to help them along, I'll
bet they would love to support us -- and sell even more laptops, too...

--jg

PS:  Once upon a time, Ford gave me a car they were about to annouce to
test-drive.  For free.  On the condition that afterward I answer a few
questions.  But this laptop trial is intended to sell their laptops.  A
good idea.