wireless card config problem

Andrew Belashov bel at orel.ru
Wed Nov 17 22:47:06 PST 2004

Hello, Andy!

andy at neu.net wrote:
> I am trying to setup a wireless AP/gateway on FBSD 5.3 Rlease.  The
> machine is an IBM Thinkpad A20m.    After
> consulting the wi manpage I bought a  DLINK DWL-650.  When I insert the
> card I get the following message:
>
> wi0: <D-Link DWL-650 Wireless PC Card RevP> at port 0x200-0x27f irq 11
> function 0 config 1 on pccard0
> wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
> : init failed
> device_attach: wi0 attach returned 6

For DWL-650:

boot verbosely (type "boot -v" at loader prompt).
With the help dmesg double check IO port conflicts for 0x200-0x27f range.
Special attention to PnP messages near this: "can't assign resources (port)".
See IO ports in BIOS SetUp for range 0x200-0x27f.
Post your dmesg to maillist.

> I searched Google and it seems there is a patch, but I did not see any
> confirmation that the patch fixed the problem.  I did not try the patch to
> see if it works.  I want something that works with a generic install.
>
> So I tried another card to see if that would work, I bought a Linksys
> WPC11 ver.4 (it is also on the list from man wi).  However, this did not
> work either, and this is the message when the card is inserted:
>
> cardbus0: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
> cbb0: CardBus card activation failed

Hmm... Your card is actually Linksys WPC11, WPC11 2.5 or WPC11 3?
WPC11 4 is not listed in wi(4).
IMHO, all listed card is pccard (16-bit), but your card is cardbus (32-bit).
Post messegas from "pciconf -lv" for this card.

> I did not try to rebuild the kernel, as support is included in the GENERIC
> config file.  Here are the relevent parts of the Kernel config file.
>
> # PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
> # PCMCIA and cardbus bridge support
> device		cbb		# cardbus (yenta) bridge
> device		pccard		# PC Card (16-bit) bus
> device		cardbus		# CardBus (32-bit) bus
>
> # Wireless NIC cards
> device		wlan		# 802.11 support
> device		an		# Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs.
> device		awi		# BayStack 660 and others
> device		wi		# WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 wireless
> NICs.
> #device		wl		# Older non 802.11 Wavelan wireless NIC.
>
> Here is dmesg:
[...]
> I would really appreciate feedback on the following:
>
> 1. How to configure one of the cards I have, and or documentation (I have
> read all the documentation I could find)
>
> 2. A suggestion for a wireless card that is known to work in BSS mode
> (Acess Point mode) to use as a base station.
>
> TIA,
>
> Andy

Best Regards,
Andrew Belashov.