600E Audio problem (Solved!)

Karel Miklav karel.miklav at siol.net
Tue Nov 16 12:25:44 PST 2004

Dave Walton wrote:
> I haven't been able to get sound working in 5.3-R yet, but using Kevin's
> solution as a guide, I tried this:
>
>    loader.conf
>       sound_load="YES"
>       snd_mss_load="YES"
>
>    device.hints
>       hint.pcm.0.at="isa"
>       hint.pcm.0.port="0x52c"
>       hint.pcm.0.irq="9"
>       hint.pcm.0.drq="1"
>       hint.pcm.0.flags="0x10"
>
> That gets me closer than anything else I've tried, but this is the
> response I get:
>
>    pcm0: <CS423x-PCI> port 0x220-0x233,0x388-0x38b,0x530-0x537 irq 9 drq
> 0,1 flags 0x10 on acpi0
>    device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

I've tried to set resources with PS2 utility and device hints, but it
never worked. I've poked my TP600e for a month and when I just wanted to
burn the Debian ISOs I've found the right tip on
http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm#secfirm. After I reset
the BIOS my soundcard miraculously started to work.

I use the snd_mss driver compiled in an almost vanilla 5.3-R kernel with
ACPI enabled. No device hints, no hacks other than that BIOS reset long
time ago and sound just works.

Try playing with firmware. And you do have the latest BIOS update, right?

Regards,
Karel Miklav