Speed sound after ACPI wakeup

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Nov 15 14:39:49 PST 2004

> Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:58:06 +0100
> From: nocturnal <nocturnal at swehack.se>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Hello
>
> On my IBM Thinkpad r40 i've managed to re-produce a problem with waking
> up from ACPI sleep state, the sound comming from my xmms sounds
> faster(like smurf voices;) and the bitrate keeps changing. This happens
> after closing and re-opening the laptop lid the first time and then
> stays until i reboot the laptop.

The ICH audio loses it's speed sync and runs at its raw speed, which is
about 10% faster than the "proper" speed of 48,000.

I have had this problem with ACPI since suspend first started to work. I
suspect that it's really a PCI power issue since it worked for a couple
of days after Warner applied the PCI Power patches to
V5. Unfortunately, these patches broke many systems and were backed
out. Small parts were then merged, but the sound never would re-sync
again.

I'm still hoping that Warner can find the problem some day, especially
now that V5 is stable.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)