amd powernow on athlon xp-m 3000+

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Mon Nov 15 06:59:53 PST 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 01:21:25PM +0100, Gordon Bergling wrote:

> If I use the module I get these lines from kernel:
> | Powernow: frequency scaling yes -- voltage scaling yes
> | module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (powernow_k7, 0xc27fe488, 0) error 22
>
> I just took a fast look at the source code of this module and it seems,
> that the module dies at line 417 which has the following code:
>
> | if (retrieve_conf_from_bios() != 0)
> |                return EINVAL;
>
> So it must have something todo with the retrieval of information from
> the bios. I just tried to comment this 2 lines out and I get the
> following lines from the kernel:
>
> | Powernow: frequency scaling yes -- voltage scaling yes
> | AMD Powernow K7 <0kHz 1075mV>
>
> It seems that parts of the information are read correctly from the bios,
> but some information are faulty. The problem is that this depth of
> kernel hacking is behind my knowledge.
>
> If someone has any hints, I would be as pleased as a Punch. ;)

There is two way to get the configuration from the bios for the
powernow-k7 technology:
- from acpi,
- from bios tables.

at that time, powernow-k7 support only the legacy way (via bios tables),
not acpi.  I guess yours will use acpi.  Could you please send to me
(privately, due to the size) the output from:
acpidump -t -d > name-system.asl
so that we can check this is the problem?

Cheers,

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.