Update: 5.3-R on Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100

Gary E. RAFE, Ph.D. rafege at mail.com
Wed Nov 10 19:25:41 PST 2004

Here's a data point regarding the (current) NVIDIA 1.0-6113 driver
for FreeBSD and Toshiba notebooks.

Previously, FreeBSD 5.2.1-R, XFree86-4.3.0, and the 1.0-4365 driver
worked perfectly at 1600x1200x16bpp on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100.

Having upgraded recently to 5.3-R & X.org-3.7.0,
I was compelled to install the NVIDIA 1.0-6113 driver,
since the earlier release does not build on this system
"out-of-the-box"
(and without it, higher native display resolutions are not available).

As noted here:

	<http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32997>

recent Linux & FreeBSD NVIDIA drivers seem to be "broken"
on Toshiba notebooks, particularly at higher (1600x1200) resolutions.

In my case, I can get the native NVIDIA driver to operate at 1588x1200
resolution (16 bpp); when I ask for 1600x1200 in "xorg.conf",
the display is unacceptably corrupted.
I can live with a few missing millimeters from the display
until a new driver is released.

The other trouble I was seeing here with USB surviving across
APM suspend/resume cycles is apparently resolved through the use
of kernel modules: usb.ko is unloaded just prior to "apm -z",
and /etc/rc.resume loads usb.ko back again when needed.
--
Gary E. RAFE, Ph.D.	<mailto:rafege at mail.com>
Please note: HTML-encoded mail is discarded unread.