Dell D600 - sleep / acpi in FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Mon Nov 8 06:36:22 PST 2004

>>>>> "Patrick" == Patrick Hurrelmann <outi at bytephobia.de> writes:

Patrick> On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 22:56, Colin Percival wrote:
>> Alan Gerber wrote: > ... on my D600.  S1 doesn't turn the > LCD
>> off, however, so it still drains significant battery power.  It >
>> isn't a super-important thing to me, so I've been a little relaxed
>> about > saying anything about it.
>>
>> If you upgrade to 5.3 and load acpi_video.ko, then you can turn off
>> the LCD via rc.suspend (and bring it back in rc.resume, of course).
>>
>> Colin Percival

Patrick> Sure, acpi_video.ko works well on a Dell Latitude D600, but
Patrick> it won't work in parallel to radeon.ko. Both hook up to the
Patrick> same kernel-interfaces (as i understood it hopefully right).
Patrick> The module that has been loaded first wins the race and the
Patrick> other one will load silently, but will not present
Patrick> functionality at all.

Patrick> I think this has been on the current list a few times in the
Patrick> past it it was said that it won't be trivial to fix.

Patrick> Personally i prefer having direct-rendering support. So i
Patrick> only load radeon.ko and acpi_video.ko stays on it shelf...

I havn't spent time trying this yet, but the nvidia port seems to
define WITH_ACPI to compile in ACPI power managements.  maybe the
radeon driver needs the same magic.

Dave.