Dell D600 - sleep / acpi in FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE

Patrick Hurrelmann outi at bytephobia.de
Sat Nov 6 05:31:22 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 22:56, Colin Percival wrote:
> Alan Gerber wrote:
> > ... on my D600.  S1 doesn't turn the
> > LCD off, however, so it still drains significant battery power.  It
> > isn't a super-important thing to me, so I've been a little relaxed about
> > saying anything about it.
>
> If you upgrade to 5.3 and load acpi_video.ko, then you can turn off the
> LCD via rc.suspend (and bring it back in rc.resume, of course).
>
> Colin Percival

Sure, acpi_video.ko works well on a Dell Latitude D600, but it won't
work in parallel to radeon.ko. Both hook up to the same
kernel-interfaces (as i understood it hopefully right).
The module that has been loaded first wins the race and the other one
will load silently, but will not present functionality at all.

I think this has been on the current list a few times in the past it it
was said that it won't be trivial to fix.

Personally i prefer having direct-rendering support. So i only load
radeon.ko and acpi_video.ko stays on it shelf...

Patrick
Patrick Hurrelmann      | "Programming today is a race between software
Mannheim, Germany       |  engineers striving to build bigger and better
outi at bytephobia.de   |  to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,
www.bytephobia.de       |  the Universe is winning."         - Rich Cook