reformatting laptop & ACPI: special partitions?

Michael A. Smith msmith at code-fu.com
Mon May 10 14:05:24 PDT 2004

My laptop (Sony VAIO FX-101) has been happily running FreeBSD since 4.3
(it's currently running 4.9-STABLE). I've never really bothered with
power management (apm, acpi, etc...), since I always use it plugged in.
That may change, however.

I'm wiping the hard drive and installing FreeBSD 5.2.1 from scratch, I
want CardBus and Wi-Fi. I may also start fiddling with ACPI. I've read
that some laptops use special partitions to store the contents of RAM
when hibernating, sleeping, coma, whatever...

Does anyone know anything about this? Should I make a special partition
for this kind of thing? Where? (first? last?) How big? What kind of
partition? (FAT32? FAT16? UFS?)

As I recall, when I got the laptop, it did NOT have any special
partitions (I wiped it the day that I got it and installed FreeBSD).

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!

--
Michael A. Smith <msmith at code-fu.com>