The Best Laptop

Pete Carss itinerant at mac.com
Wed Mar 31 09:45:59 PST 2004

Funny, I've been trying to run FreeBSD on a HP/compaq nx9005, to try and
get away from Apple, its definately "money no object"...although the
argument has changed - Its not Apple hardware that's dear, and the money
saved in setup/fiddling time is probably worth something...its more that
I was trying to save money on software, I'm happy using
AbiWord/Gnumeric/Eclipse/Blender etc - but they feel pretty
schitzophrenic on Mac OS X.

Thanks to a recent thread on this list my nx9005 is getting a lot of use
- I've had to track current, but its mostly stable. Got powernow
working, now It geels like a laptop again...originally I bought it as it
was the cheapest non-celeron laptop in the UK - when you crank it up its
pretty swift. I does have the best trackpad I've ever used on a laptop.
It has a strip on the right with a ridge seperating it from the rest of
the tracking area - if you add a ZAxisMapping line to XF86Config it
works for scrolling - really sweet. It also has a button to disable the
trackpad - realy usefull when your typing...

Actually this is my first post to this list...but I owe it quite a lot -
  I finally feel like I got myself a little unix-go anywhere workhorse -
for next to nothing...saved me from gentoo hell

Thanks Guys...

Pete