The Best Laptop

Dave Tweten tweten at nas.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 30 15:02:30 PST 2004

des at des.no said:
>I've had three ThinkPads, including a 600E.  All of them had problems
>running FreeBSD.

I use three ThinkPads now, all T23s.  None of them has ever had a problem
running FreeBSD.  The one that has the combined wireless / losemodem
doesn't have modem support with any open source OS, but the other two that
use Lucent losemodems without the combined wireless are supported.

My T23 and the union's T23 have been flawless for the two years since I
bought them from IBM through Ebay.  NASA's T23 has been on 24x7, serving
as my workstation for over a year.  It's hard disk recently began to fail
to initialize if power cycled immediately after being seriously stressed
(say by a Norton virus scan).  IBM sent me a replacement under warrantee,
and I'm typing this message on that T23.

I love the trackpoint as opposed to touch pads.  I always tend to rest my
thumbs on a touch pad, with unpredictable results.  Trackpoint drift
cancels itself out if you just keep your hands off the trackpoint for a
few seconds.

I've never had a problem with any of the six batteries (main and ultraport
extra for each of three machines).  Unlike my experience with other
laptops, these batteries seem to last as long as the manufacturer claims
between recharges.  Usually, I cut the claims in half as I read them.

Power management software works fine with STABLE.  I got the IBM/Phoenix
stand-alone hibernation partition initialization diskette, and hybernation
works well too (except for the need to switch to virtual console and back
to XFree86 after waking up from hibernation).

Obviously, your mileage may vary.  I like mine.
--
M/S 258-5                    |1024-bit PGP fingerprint:|tweten at nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center    | 41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59|     (650) 604-4416