AP Scanning

Anton Nikiforov anton at nikiforov.ru
Mon Mar 29 06:43:46 PST 2004

Dear All,
thanks to those of you who helped me to start using my WiFi adapter, but
now i have a question about using it :)
I mean it works just fine with Intel's APs and im planning to try to
test it with D-Link APs.
My question is:
I'm traveling between a few locations with differn APs configuration and
differen options to access internet (dhcp, proxys etc).
In addition some offices have no WiFi APs installed, so i use ethernet
cable or ppp over GPRS connection there.
And i wold like my noteook to swith profiles automaticaly (i want to
test radio environment in case no ethernet cable is attached and i know
how to do it). And if no ethernet nor radio available - it should
connect over ppp (if usb cable is attached).
I understand that there is a simple way to test the radio invironment by
setting up ssid and other parameters and check if the interface become
assotiated, but i do not like this idea.
Maybe there is something that i coud use as a key to start interfase in
one of the predefined configurations (like before setting a ssid to read
AP's serial or whatever unique location ID)? Maybe even scan an air for
APs that i do not know? :)
And additional questions - is how to change Mozilla/gaim configuration
"on the fly" to correspnd to each location. (but this question is not
FreeBSD related, so it could be considered as OFFTOPIC, but maye someone
solved already this problem?)
Does someone solved this? Or even know where to read about?

--
Best regards,
Anton Nikiforov