Suspend/Resume problems with Thinkpad 240

Bohdan Horst nexus at irc.pl
Fri Mar 26 00:56:04 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:09:25AM -0500, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Jan Richling wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I installed FreeBSD-current on my ThinkPad 240 computer (Celeron 400,
> > 192 MB RAM, 12 GB hdd). After doing a lot of configuration and solving
> > minor problems now everything works as expected (pccard, usb mouse, usb
> > camera, ps2 mouse, X, WinModem, sound). The only thing not working is
> > suspend/resume.
>
> CURRENT has just undergone major changes related to SMP and threading. The
> ATA driver has been completely rewritten and is being called ATAng now. This
> had a major effect on suspend/resume functionality.
>
> There is no -STABLE for the 5.x series yet, so that means that things will
> continue to be UNstable for some time.
>
> Having said that, I run 5.2.1-RELEASE on my IBM Thinkpad A30p. Suspend/Resume
> works for me, but I had to remove GLX from my XF86Config file, otherwise the
> machine would hang on resume if I was running X11.
>
> However, even my machine will hang after two or three suspend/resume cycles.
> This is a regression from 5.1-RELEASE where it used to take about 10 suspend/
> resume cycles to lock the machine. Also, ACPI suspend/resume used to work for
> me under 5.1-RELEASE, but it's totally broken in 5.2.1-RELEASE. I saw a recent
> ACPI commit that might address the problem though.
>
> The USB issue you describe is known. I don't know the specifics, but apparently
> someone is working on it, or has the issue on their ToDo list. It happens to
> me too.
>
> These are just some of the things you're going to have to live with if you
> choose to run the development version of FreeBSD instead of the stable version.

short story about my TP 600X:

4.7-4.9

suspend/resume - APM without problems
sound (csa)    - need kldunload/kldload after suspend/resume
eth (ep0)      - without problems
eth (xe0)      - without problems
modem (ltmdm)  - without problems

5.1

suspend/resume - APM without problems,  ACPI doesn't..
sound (csa)    - without problems
eth (ep0)      - without problems
eth (xe0)      - doesn;t work
modem (ltmdm)  - without problems

5.2

suspend/resume - doesn;t work (ATA problems)

5.2.1

suspend/resume - APM without problems,  ACPI doesn't try yet :)
sound (csa)    - need kldunload/kldload after suspend/resume and strange
		 delays appears (only when seek/stop)
eth (ep0)      - without problems
eth (xe0)      - doesn;t work
modem (ltmdm)  - without problems
smartd	       - without problems :))

best regards

--
 /  irl: Bohdan 'Nexus' Horst  |  irc: Nexus  \