Suspend/Resume problems with Thinkpad 240

G.E. Rafe rafege at mail.com
Thu Mar 25 07:00:48 PST 2004

!> I installed FreeBSD-current on my ThinkPad 240 computer (Celeron 400,
!> 192 MB RAM, 12 GB hdd). After doing a lot of configuration and solving
!> minor problems now everything works as expected (pccard, usb mouse, usb
!> camera, ps2 mouse, X, WinModem, sound). The only thing not working is
!> suspend/resume.
!
!Having said that, I run 5.2.1-RELEASE on my IBM Thinkpad A30p. Suspend/Resume
!works for me, but I had to remove GLX from my XF86Config file, otherwise the
!machine would hang on resume if I was running X11.
!
!...
!
!The USB issue you describe is known. I don't know the specifics, but apparently
!someone is working on it, or has the issue on their ToDo list. It happens to
!me too.

I have 5.2.1-R running on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100.
APM suspend/resume have been working well on this hardware,
even with the Nvidia X11 driver.
While looking at the USB resume problem (had it here, too),
I found that compiling a kernel with "option USB_DEBUG",
then enabling kernel debug messages on uhci with
"sysctl hw.usb.uhci.debug=1" brings USB back every time.

OK, there's a little overhead due to the extra debugging code,
and a few extra kernel messages around suspend/resumes,
but the notebook hasn't needed a reboot in a couple weeks due to a
failed suspend/resume
(actually, only one reboot since building this kernel due to an unrelated
[I think!] problem).
--
Gary E. RAFE, Ph.D.
grafe at eng.utoledo.edu