XFree86 4.3.0 hangs at shutdown on Thinkpad T20

Tim Hawkins timh at contentspace.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 13:27:12 PST 2004

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 21:00, Dan Langille wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, stktrc wrote:
> > XFree 4.3.0 (using savage driver) hangs at shutdown on a Thinkpad T20.
> > Adding 'Option "ShadowStatus" "on"' for working around a bug in the
> > chipset as documented in the savage driver manual is not helping
> > either.
>
> I have a ThinkPad T22 running also running XFree86 4.3.0 and the savage
> driver.  About 50% of the time it freezes on starting X and on leaving X.
> The machine freezes.  A poower off is the only way to recover.
>
> > Others seem to have experienced it too: http://tinyurl.com/yqm76
>
> My experiences are similar to the above.  But when my X "terminates", I
> see the X start up text instead of a black screen.
>
> $ less ~/.xinitrc
> #blackbox
> startkde
>
> My config and log are here:
>
> http://www.langille.org/XF86Config
> http://www.langille.org/XFree86.0.log#

I have a Sharp PC-FS2516 which has the ProSavageDDR chipset in it, with the
Savage Driver and 5.2.1 it would freeze on startup of X, If I use the Vesa
Driver it would freeze on exit.

Problem was so severe that I stopped using the laptop and used it as an excuse
to buy a new one. :=)

I reverted to Fedora Core 1 Linux on that machine and it runs fine under the
Savage Driver, If there is anybopdy in london with the skills to diagnose and
fix this problem I would be happy to lend them the machine.

--
Regards
Tim Hawkins