Toshiba P25-S609 Install problems

Chris Miller chrislist at bariatricsupportcenter.com
Wed Mar 17 22:55:56 PST 2004

For the benefit of anyone else trying to figure this out and looking through
the archives I am posting how to fix the problem.

When trying to install FreeBSD 5.2.1 on a Toshiba P25-S609 Laptop the install
would hang at the following location:
cbb0: <ToPIC100 PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 4.0 on pci2

In verbose mode I would get an extra line with the following:
pcib2: device cbb0 requested decoded memory range 0xc2000000-0xc20fffff

Following the hint from Norton found here:
http://aproductofsociety.org/toshiba_p25.html

I found the reference to the hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_ranges=1 in the
manual here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-sysctl.html#SYSCTL-READONLY

You can activate this on the install by doing the following:
1) Select option number 6 (Escape to loader prompt) at the selection menu for
the install.
2) Enter the following at the OK prompt:
set hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1
then press enter.
(You will note there are no quotes around the 1 as shown on Norton's page.
For some reason it didn't want to work for me with quotes.  Maybe I was using
single quotes and they should have been double, I don't know, what I do know
is that it works without them.)
3) Type boot and press enter.

Magic, you made it past the spot that was driving you crazy :D

-Chris