Dell TrueMobile 1300 replacement

Patrick Hurrelmann outi at outi.echsi.de
Thu Mar 11 07:00:32 PST 2004

Eric Anderson wrote:

> Matthew Bettinger wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We recently purchased some Dell Latitude D505 and D600 laptops at
>> work which will be used for freebsd 4.9.  They came with the Dell
>> TrueMobile 1300 minipci card which has very little support all
>> around and will need to be replaced.
>> What is a tried and true,  without fail,  decent card
>> (pcmcia or mini-pci) that you would recommend as a replacement?
>>
>> I've been reading the FAQ and the an and wi man pages but I still
>> feel a little apprehensive about purchasing new cards for these
>> boxes without some list-serv feedback.
>>
>> I was leaning towards the cisco aironet 352...
>>
>> The minimum criteria for the cards is support 802.11b and support
>> 128bit wep.
>

> I have a D600, and I've been using an Atheros 5212 based mini-pci
> wireless card.  It supports 802.11a/b/g.  I run FreeBSD 5.2.1-CURRENT,
> but it would work well for you on 5.2.1-RELEASE.  The name of the card
> was "Netegriti" I believe, and I think I found them on Ebay, and then
> purchased directly from the company's website.
>
> On a side note - if you do run 5.2.1, you should be able to use the
> NDISulator (aka "project evil") - to use your current TrueMobile card.
>
> If you need any configs, etc, for the D600, let me know.  I have finally
> got everything just how I want it. :)
>

> Eric

i'm running my dell truemobile d600 (latitude d600) with ndis-wrapper
(project evil) on 5.2 current with no problems. it runs flawless.

i'd recommend to run at least 5.2.1 for acpi-support (which works quite
well, too)

in 5.2 current you'll have the acpi-video extension, that turns off your
display on lid close e.g.

but acpi-video and ndis-wrapper should run on a 5.2.1 release too, if
you don't want to run a recent current...

patrick