new laptop suggestions - not the usual stuff

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Jul 30 08:49:01 PDT 2004

> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:39:16 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Wesley Morgan <morganw at chemikals.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Dan Langille wrote:

> >> These are sadly becoming harder to find, despite their obvious superiority
> >> to the "touch pad". I was very put off when Toshiba dropped their
> >> Satellite Pro line that featured this! I'll have to hang on to my current
> >> laptop forever.
> >
> > IBM are committed to the stick I think.
>
> Yeah but the keyboards on thinkpads suck. All springy and stiff :)

Odd. We have always used ThinkPads in my organization and the keyboard
is the one reason IBM has won the last two times we have evaluated
laptops on the basis of their excellent keyboards.

I did a bit or research into them and IBM actually did human testing to
determine the what trained typists liked in terms of force required,
length of key travel and tactile feedback and designed their keyboards
accordingly. I have loved mine from the first time I used it, though I
won't claim to be a trained typist.

My only issue with ThinkPads is the price and I've always found them to
be worth it.

A happy 560, 600E and T30 user.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer