Anyone following RELENG_5_2?

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 27 21:27:00 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 01:34 pm, Chris wrote:
> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> > Chris wrote:

> >>Blah - sorry about that. New mail client. Dropped KMail for Thunderbird
> >>and I guess I didn't have all of it configured.
> >
> > How is that working out for you? (Kmail -> Thunderbird)
> >
> > I've always felt that KMail is a superior mail client, especially when it
> > comes to IMAP, but I'd love to be able to use something that runs on
> > Win32 too. How much mail do you manage daily, and do you use IMAP?
>
> KMail is nice - however, for IMAP, KMail does NOT support the use of
> email filters. (Booo) Perhaps in an upcoming release it may.
>
> The Mozilla site has a how-to if you need to "export" your email from
> KMail. Mind you, I use the term export lightly.
>
> It's time consuming but rather straight to the point. I did it, and I am
> very happy I did so.  T-Bird does support IMAP (Coo) but I don't use it
> thus far.
>
> The filtering is far better then KMail's (IMHO) and like you, am trying
> to keep my mail clients even in both FreeBSD and Winders.

With IMAP, it makes the most sense to do the mail filtering on the server when
the mail comes in rather than when the client connects.  If you do the
filtering in each of your clients.  I use a cyrus IMAP server with a Sieve
filtering script on my server.  By doing the filtering on the server, my mail
is always properly sorted if I use kmail, squirrelmail webmail, mutt, or any
other mail client.  It's also more efficient bandwidth-wise to do the
filtering on the server. :)