Thinkpad 600E with Xircom ethernet adaptor

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Jul 27 14:15:55 PDT 2004

	Recently I got a 366MHz Thinkpad 600E.  It came without
	a network card so I  bought a Xircom Ethernet II 10/100 CBE2-100.
	I put the card in the bottom, slot, plugged the IBM
	USB-to-CAT5 cable with the adaptor to my CAT5 cable.  Into
	my switch, and from 4.8 floppies tried to do do a network
	install.

	The thing is that /stand/sysinstall only gives me two options:
	SLIP and PPP.  This I don't have.  I got the network screen
	and entered my gateway and my DNS server (NS1.THOUGHT.ORG);
	still, no-joy.  I toggled DCHP from hte options list, I
	chose the Default address range (0x0000) and irq 3.

	What am I doing wrong?  Wrong card? ...

	thanks in advance,

	gary

--