working the bugs out of a Sony GRX650 - interrupts and the sound card

Hrant Dadivanyan ran at styx.aic.net
Mon Jul 26 06:07:24 PDT 2004

Hi Stuart,

You also should have difficulties with memory stick, second PC card slot
and sometimes USB, correct ?  AFAIK, Sony GRX and GR series have the same
issue with interrupts delivery, when no interrupts are received by driver.
vmstat -i should confirm it.

I own GR300 and after two years fight found a workaround to get at least
sound to work with STABLE - since video and sound share the same irq 9 as
almost everything in this Sony design, if you configure kernel and X to
use DRI (http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/), it will produce enough
interrupts the sound to work well.

Two weeks ago I have installed CURRENT and found that everything works
pretty well in generic install. Also during these days CURRENT looks much
stable with my laptop than STABLE. Thanks to all people working on FreeBSD !

Hope it help you,
Hrant

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running  4.9-RELEASE on my lapper and have been trying for over a year to
> get the sound card running properly.  I'm probably 'medium' level in my OS
> skills, so there may be something basic that I'm missing.
>
> Dmesg reports the following on the card:
> pcm0: <Intel ICH3 (82801CA)> port 0x18c0-0x18ff,0x1c00-0x1cff irq 9 at device
> 31.5 on pci0
> pcm0: <Yamaha YMF753 AC97 Codec>
>
> I have the same behavior I've heard others mention on this list: the sound
> works fine as long as I wiggle the mouse - presumably this is generating
> enough interrupts to keep the sound steady.
>
> I've tried both Intel ICH and the generic snd_driver and get identical (bad)
> results.
>
> Anyone have this model and get it running properly?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
>
> Stuart Quimby
> Pres. Design Science Toys, Ltd.
> 172 Pleasant Vale Rd.
> Tivoli, NY  12583
> 845.756.4221  (fax)4223
> stuq at dstoys.com

Hrant Dadivanyan (aka Ran d'Adi)			ran(at)amnic.net
/* "Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes." */	ran(at)styx.aic.net