Anyone following RELENG_5_2?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed Jul 21 13:47:56 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 14:55, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> >> Freddie Cash wrote:
> >> My cross-platform mail client is SquirrelMail.  Any OS that has a
> >> TCP/IP stack and a web brower (GUI or text) lets me access my mail.
> >> Although I do prefer to use KMail as much as possible.
> >
> > I agree whole-heartedly. We use maildrop for filtering on the server.
>
> Would you mind sharing snippets of your maildroprc?  I've only been
> testing Maildrop and using a very minimal amount of features.  The one
> thing I'm most interested in is using maildrop to provide per-user
> quotas with Maildir quotas.  I have not been able to do so.  No matter
> what I try, even using if and nested if, the last QUOTA line in the
> file is the one that gets used.  I've searched around on the maildrop
> lists but have never been able to find a solution to this one.  I
> haven't tried yet with per-user maildroprc files, hoping there was a
> way to do this with just a central maildroprc and "if $USER ==
> soandso, $QUOTA = XKB" structures, with a default QUOTA set for
> everyone else.

No, I don't mind sharing snippets. I don't use the QUOTA features, just
the if, to, and exit features. 99% of my mailfilter file follows this template:

# Cron
if ( /^From: root at chortos.wingnet.net.*/ )
{
        # Now filter on subject
        if ( /^Subject: Cron.*/ )
        {
                to "$MAILHOME/.Work.Servers.Chortos.Cron"
                exit
        }
}

Unfortunately, I haven't found a good web interface to these files yet,
so we're limited to offering server-side filtering to staff accounts only.
I plan to remedy that soon though.

> > 1.) My inbox alone has over 6000 messages. KMail handles it expertly
> > and wastes minimal time on the mail I've already checked. Newer
> > versions are even better at this.
>
> What IMAP server are you using and what OS?  I tried Courier-IMAP
> running on FreeBSD 5.2.1 and I could consistently crash the server
> when trying to access folders with 10,000 messages in them.  (I also
> save 90% of my mail.)

Currently the mail server setup is as follows:

courier-imap 2.2.1
maildrop 1.5.3
sqwebmail 3.5.3
ispell 3.2.06

qmail 1.03 (with like 30 patches!)
ucspi-tcp 0.88
ucspi-tcp-man 0.88
daemontools 0.76
daemontools-0.76-man
qmailanalog 0.70
cdb-0.75
ezmlm 0.53
ezmlm-idx 0.40
qmail-qfilter-1.5

clamav-0.74
qmail-scanner-1.22

vpopmail 5.2.1
autorespond 2.0.2
qmailadmin 1.0.6
vqadmin 2.3.2
vqregister 2.5

plus a huge number of custom scripts and programs running on FreeBSD 4.8.

I pieced the server together by hand over the course of about 4 months as my primary UNIX
learning experience back in 2002 when I first came to WingNET. I've been maintaining
and developing it ever since, and I'm long overdue for another round of massive
upgrades.

ClamAV and sqwebmail are the thorns in my flesh. ClamAV hangs constantly,
and I had to setup a monit daemon to check on it every 30 seconds and restart
it if necessary. sqwebmail, while an excellent and extremely high performance
webmail interface, lacks polish in it's UI. In addition, sqwebmail tends to go
insane and spawn multiple CPU hungry child processes. I have to watch it
constantly.

However, I couldn't do without ClamAV. It's an excellent virus scanner! And
sqwebmail is a pet project of mine. I've submitted some code to
Mr. Sam before, and I'm constantly hoping the project will attract more developers
and take off like squirrelmail. It's speed is a great benefit!

Having said all that, the server itself is a 500Mhz Dell PIII running rather
slow hardware RAID 5. The CPU is more than adaquate for everything but
virus scanning, which I may break off into a higher horsepower box someday.

As for 10,000 messages, I currently have a vpopmail mailing list folder that
has 10474 messages. I can check it with no problems, but it's access times
are bordering on what I consider "slow". I mainly use GMANE and KNode
for mailing list reading these days.

If anything, I just wish FreeBSD had a btree based filesystem like Linux's
ReiserFS. I think something like that would make my huge 1000+ message
maildirs MUCH faster.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,