Serial console on a ThinkPad?

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Fri Jul 16 06:14:27 PDT 2004

On 16 Jul 2004 at 11:04, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:

> One posibility is Firewire - I used that successfully for a console for
> debugging a problem on my ThinkPad R40 some time ago.  That just
> requires another computer with Firewire and a Firewire cable.

I had a look at this.  I have an overview of how to do it (manual
pages dcons(4), dconschat(8) and possibly a few others linked from
those).  But the problem is hardware.  None of my computers have
firewire.  That means buying two firewire cards.  That's about $225
minimum (including the taxes and the cable).

Someone suggested getting a port replicator for the ThinkPad.  That's
slightly more expensive than the above option.

If someone has firewire gear they can loan me (one cardbus, one PCI,
one cable), I'll help out with the debugging.  Otherwise, I'm sorry
but I'll have to withdraw from this.  I can't afford it.

cheers
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/