How's current lately for laptops? (was Two questions on Thinkpad T41)

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Thu Jul 8 18:31:56 PDT 2004

You also said on IRC:
> [John Baldwin had a look at it at USENIX, and he figured it
>  was a cable or controller problem, which means the system board]

If we can establish that the problem is isolated to a specific ATA
controller revision, we may be getting somewhere....

My T40, which does not demonstrate any of these problems, has the following:
atapci0 at pci0:31:1:      class=0x01018a card=0x052d1014 chip=0x24ca8086
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00

A locally affected T41 has the following:
atapci0 at pci0:31:1:      class=0x01018a card=0x052d1014 chip=0x24ca8086
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00

...which are again, identical.

Your T41 is... off to the shop for a motherboard replacement.

What I'd like to do next is for people with affected machines to run
acpidump, extract their DSDT, and then run md5 to at least establish
if they're different; and following on from THAT, to run iasl and diff
for possibly differing ACPI methods with regards to the CD-RW module.

In the absence of detailed dumps, this is all I can think of right now.

This gets us no further to a working hypothesis, but I'm posting this for
the sake of having more data to work from.

Regards,
BMS