wi0 busy bit won't clear error

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Fri Feb 20 07:39:33 PST 2004

Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>> Have you applied the patch to add the DELAY(1) macros after reading the
>> CSR to the wi driver?  It was posted to mobile@ back around Jan. 10 by
>> Marco Zec. Since I installed that patch, I have not had any of these
>> timeout issues.
>
> You must be talking about this thread:
>
>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.mobile/6619
>
> And this one:
>
>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.mobile/6623
>
> And then another comment by you here:
>
>     http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.mobile/6644/match=prism+timeout+oberman
>

> Much of that talk seems to suggest that I need to upgrade my firmware to
> 1.1.1/1.7.4 and then think about installing Marko's patch. He said himself
> at one point that he doesn't think his patch should be committed.
>
> I'll upgrade to 1.7.4 and see if it solves the problem. Firmware upgrades
> for this card are pretty painless.

Well, it's been two days since I upgraded to 1.7.4 and I haven't seen a single
hicup yet. I'm currently deleting 10,000 messages from one of my IMAP folders
using KMail - an operation that used to grind my wireless connection to a screeching
halt - and not even a single hesitation!

Someday soon I think I'll try out hostAP mode and see how well it works with
5.2.1-RC2 and this firmware.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,