Satellite Pro 6100 Freeze

Darryl Barlow darrylb_au44 at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 17 01:21:56 PST 2004

Further to my previous post about boot problems with
5.2 on a satllite pro 6100.  enable_io_modes=0 gets
past the problems with the agp bridge.  However, the
boot then hangs on loading the keyboard driver.
Strangely enough, this seems to be cured by entering
the bios settings and changing the boot device to
cdrom first.  Even with no cd in the drive it will
then boot okay, and continue to do so even when the
bios settings are changed back.  I haven't checked yet
but it seems the act of changing the bios corrects the
problem.  All is then fine until the next attempted
cold boot after the machine has been off for some
time. Any ideas as to a solution or even what the
problem may be would be appreciated.

Apart from this minor glitch I am enjoying my
experience with Freebsd.  I'm not about to abandon
Debian just yet, but it is great to compare the
different approaches, and to find that Freebsd is
equally as usable as Linux.  I would not say that one
is better than the other.  Each has its advantages and
disadvantages, and I suspect preference is often
determined by which O/S people become familiar with
first.  That excludes, of course, those with a
passionate idealogical commitment to one licensing
model or the other.

Try the new improved Yahoo! Australia & NZ Search at http://www.yahoo.com.au