Higher-res external monitors under X

Jamie Bowden ragnar at sysabend.org
Mon Feb 16 11:00:52 PST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Dag-Erling [iso-8859-1] Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> Jamie Bowden <ragnar at sysabend.org> writes:

> > Unless something has changed, as long as you have valid modelines for
> > all display devices and resolutions you plan on having X output to,
> > ctrl-alt-+ and ctrl-alt-- are your friends.

> That only works if the virtual desktop size is at least as large as the
> highest physical resolution you want to support.  At all other
> resolutions you will have to swim around with the mouse, which to put it
> plainly sucks.

> Of course my Latitude D600 has a 1600x1200 panel, so I don't have this
> problem :)

If Dell ever gets monitor stands in, I'll get to find out how well the SGI
rebranded 21" monitor on my floor handles the 1920X1200 I run X at on the
D800.

Jamie Bowden

--=20
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"
Iain Bowen <alaric at alaric.org.uk>