Cisco mini-PCI cards with the latest firmware

Doug Ambrisko ambrisko at ambrisko.com
Wed Feb 11 20:48:40 PST 2004

Jake Khuon writes:
| ### On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:44:55 -0800 (PST), Doug Ambrisko
| ### <ambrisko at ambrisko.com> casually decided to expound upon Joe Marcus
| ### Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com> the following thoughts about "Re: Cisco
| ### mini-PCI cards with the latest firmware":
|
| DA> Joe Marcus Clarke writes:
| DA> | I'm curious if there are any known issues with the -CURRENT an driver,
| DA> | and the Cisco Aironet mini-PCI cards running the latest firmware?  I
| DA> | have seen some emails in December, but I wanted to confirm if there was
| DA> | still an issue on -CURRENT?  Thanks.
| DA>
| DA> If you use older firmware (ie. firmware before they started to use TX Copy
)
| DA> then it works okay in -CURRENT.  In 5.2 there was some #ifdef HACK code
| DA> that tried to deal with the TX Copy stuff but it had negative effect on
| DA> the older firmware.  So it should work okay.  Getting the information
| DA> I need to fix it still hasn't happened and I haven't got lucky with
| DA> my experiemnts :-(
|
| At what point did they start doing the TX copy stuff?  I and others running
| 5.00.01 are seeing some problems with the card hanging or timing out.  I've
| also had the system crash on me.  This does indeed seem to happen when
| signal quality gets low and/or lots of network activity is happening.

Not sure.  If you find out let me know.  I've been using MPI350v50001.IMG.
It works in my testing without those issues.   That could be a firmware
bug.  Normally a firmware upgrade would fix that but not in this case.

| When you say the HACK code had detrimental effects on older firmware, are
| you also implying that it works fine with newer firmware?  In other words,
| would upgrading the firmware to the latest and #define'ing the HACK allow
| things to work properly?

Nope just makes the newer firmware work somewhat better.

I do have an idea that might make things better but haven't tried it yet.
If Cisco would give me more information then I might not have to guess
at things :-(  My guessing hasn't been very productive in this case.

Doug A.