Cisco mini-PCI cards with the latest firmware

lars lars at gmx.at
Fri Feb 6 13:56:07 PST 2004

Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> lars writes:
> | Dear all,
> |
> | My Cisco Aironet MiniPCI card in a Thinkpad R40 doesn't work at all.
> | When I boot from the 5.2.1 iso it hangs while detecting the card.
> |
> | Does this mean it should work now?
>
> It it normal to hang for a little bit.  Maybe 10s.  Now to make it
> work you need an older version of firmware and the driver in -current
> or delete the code in /sys/dev/an/if_an.c between the lines that
> says "HACK".
>
> What you could do it remove the card from behind one of the doors
> on the bottom of your laptop boot and then install FreeBSD including
> the sources for sys.  Then recompile with the above change.  Flash
> the firmware via Window.  Then it should work.
>
> This assumes that your laptop is okay and not messing up system resources.
>
> Doug A.

Dear Doug,

Following the instructions posted on the net and in this list,
I downgraded my firmware and also the NDIS drivers
(go to cisco.com, dl the firmware and drivers, install with ACU tool,
resp. hardware manager, reboot etc.).

With

set hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"
set hw.cbb.memory_range="0x20000000"

entered at bootup or written to /boot/loader.conf

my TP R40 now boots 5-2-RELEASE-p2 without lockup.

The card can now be brought up.
I haven't gotten around to testing the card under load yet though,
I will post any results on this list.

Thanks for the help, I almost gave up on FreeBSD on my laptop
after 4.x. Now I'm a happy user again.

Kind regards,
Lars.