T30 - mouse and suspend issue

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Feb 6 08:41:28 PST 2004

> From: Duane Winner <duanewinner at att.net>
> Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:17:26 -0500
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 12:11, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > From: Duane Winner <duanewinner at att.net>
> > > Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:40:20 -0500
> > > Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Has anybody experienced this behavior?:
> > >
> > > When I suspend my laptop (using "zzz" or Fn-F4), when I wake it up, the
> > > mouse (Trackpoint) is dead. The keyboard still responds.
> > > If the laptop is docked, the mouse (PS/2) works fine after a suspend.
> > > This behavior occurs regardless of whether I have X running or not.
> > >
> > > I have a Thinkpad T30 (2366-81U) running FreeBSD-4.9-RELEASE.
> > > I have using apm, not apci, and have apm0 enable in the kernel and apm
> > > and apmd enabled in my rc.conf.
> >
> > I believe that you need to edit the psm flags in /boot/device.hints to
> > be:
> > hint.psm.0.flags="0x2000"
> >
> > This sets HOOKRESUME in the driver to fix this exact problem.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Adding "hints.psm.0.flags="0x2000"" to /boot/device.hints didn't fix the
> problem, but you pointed me in the right direction.
>
> Based on this information, I tried adding "flags = 0x2000" to the psm0
> device in my kernel config and recompiled the kernel.
> That worked.

Oops! For some reason I thought that you were running V5. In V4 things
like device configuration details were in the kernel config file. In V5
they moved to device.hints. Sorry for the false lead, but I'm glad that
you figured it out.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)