Atheros Cards Associates in Monitor mode

Adams, Kevin Kevin.Adams at compuware.com
Tue Feb 3 10:59:14 PST 2004

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or there is a modification I
need to do.

First,  I have a Dell CPiR 400Mhz laptop with FreeBSD 5.2-Release.  I have a
Linksys WPC55AG card.

All works great except for one thing.  When I put the Linksys card in
Monitor mode by using

    ifconfig ath0 monitor up

and then being to collect data using pcap 0.8.1 and pcap CVS-Current (I
sometimes switch between them at
compile time).

The card tries to Associate and/or Authenticate to 'some' AP via system
(highlighted) messages on the main console.
(i.e. ath0: association failed (reason x) for xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx.  Reason
codes have been 1 & 12).  It is not all the time.
It only seems to be with access points that don't have WEP on.  I thought in
"Monitor" mode there was not to be
anything transmitted from the card.  Only received, processed by BPF and
then discarded.

I use pcap_open_live in promiscuous mode.
I then do a pcap_set_datalink(handle, DLT_IEEE802_11_RADIO) to get 802.11
info (and other packets).
then use pcap_next_ex() in a loop to process packets.

Pretty basic.

I also installed and compile the current FreeBSD 5.2 CVS patches for the ATH
(1.44) driver along with the other associated
patches the ATH driver uses and get the same results.

Am I doing anything wrong or forgetting something? Is the ifconfig statement
correct?

Thanks,

Kevin

and then destroy it.