pccardd in 5.3

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 31 11:38:37 PST 2004

On Friday 31 December 2004 02:08 am, Alex Povolotsky wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to run pccardd under FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE, and it fails to start,
> "fatal error: no PC-CARD slots".
>
> I'm running it on Compaq Armada with working PCCARD network. What should I
> add to kernel?

Is your network card already working?  (That is, does it probe and attach when
you plug it in?)  If so, you don't need to use pccardd.  FreeBSD 5.x uses a
completely different driver for all of the pccard stuff that supports most
laptops.  Only some older non-cardbus laptops need the OLDCARD stuff that
uses pccardd IIRC.

> Also, adding
>
> device apm
>
> to kernel did not make /dev/apmctl to appear, so apmd warns me about lack
> of APM support. With properly working ACPI, do I need apmd at all?

Nope.