Dual monitor setup

Michael Collette Michael.Collette at testequity.com
Wed Dec 29 13:17:22 PST 2004

Running up a brand new IBM T42 (2373-CXU) laptop here, that FreeBSD seems to
love being on.  Can't say enough about how far things have come since the
first time I tried FreeBSD on a laptop.  Wow!

Anyway, down to my last configuration battle.  I'm trying to get a dual
monitor setup going with this box using the built in monitor to sit along
side an external monitor.  I've got this working great on a desktop machine,
and I tried it out on this laptop with Windows... just before deleting it
entirely off this hard drive.

I found a couple of references out on the net covering this subject, but most
all of them were using the Linux ATI drivers.  Tried working with what came
with xorg's drivers, but all I could seem to get was fuzziness on the
external monitor.  Never got close to having X recognize both displays as a
single desktop.

Wondering if anyone out there has had any luck with this?  If so, could you
post your XF86Config?

As a side note, anybody having luck with OpenGL on one of these ATI 9600 video
cards?  I kinda had some of the OpenGL screen savers working until I upgraded
to the latest xorg here.  Now any OpenGL that launches dumps core.

Thanks,
--
Michael Collette
IT Manager