Xircom REM56G-100 on 5.3

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Tue Dec 28 02:06:00 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 01:37:34PM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Scott Mitchell wrote:
>
> > The modem part should work with the sio driver, although you won't be able
> > to use both the Ethernet and modem together with an OLDCARD kernel (not the
> > default on 5.3 so you're probably running a NEWCARD kernel).  Do you see
> > any extra sio ports showing up in dmesg output?
>
> No, I don't.  It's not an issue anyway, as I managed to get USB-serial
> cables to work instead.  Of course, the modem port may not actually work,
> as I got the card for free...
>
> So you're saying that card-modems should "just work"?  I might buy one, in
> that case.

In general, yes - any card that claims to be a serial device should be
picked up by sio.  On the other hand, getting multiple functions on the
same card to work at the same time is often tricky.  It's possible that the
last round of work I did on the xe driver broke sio probing on these
cards... will take a look and fix it if necessary.

	Scott