Laptop fan problem.

Alex Zatelepin mvzp10 at cln.ru
Thu Dec 16 09:08:01 PST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:55:18 -0500
  "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <Alex.Kovalenko at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 11:51 +0000, Alex Zatelepin wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:51:40 +0300
>>
>> Hello. I have a toshiba M30 laptop, on which I have installed
>>freebsd
>> 5.3. I have enabled speedstep support with est and estctrl ports and
>> it seems to work except a little problem: the fan almost never turns
>> on and laptop turns really HOT! I have tried to change some sysctls
>> but they seem to be non-writable. here they are:
>>
>> % sysctl -a|grep thermal
>> hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
>> hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 3512
>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 3912
>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 3922
>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: 3912 3912 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
>>
>> 391,2 K -- I think it is rather high :) How to change this or make
>>the
>> fan turn on more frequently?
>
> In the simplest case, you need to look for something like
>
> 	Method(_AC0) { Return "some temperature" }
> 	Method(_AC1) { Return "some temperature" }
>
> in your ASL and change it to something lower. You will have to
>recompile
> you ASL and load it at the boot time after that. ACPI section of the
> Handbook is very helpful.
>
> You have not mentioned what FreeBSD version you are running -- by
>the
> look of the output, I would guess 5.1 or 5.2. If this is the case,
>you
> might want to consider upgrade to 5.3--stable, ACPI have seen
> considerable amount of change.
> --
> Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)

  Read carefully, I said I have 5.3 installed :) But, if I have to
recompile ASL why does it work properly on windows? I have attached
output from 'acpidump -t -d', it is very obscure for me.
The lines you wrote about:

Method (_AC0, 0, NotSerialized)
                 Return (\_SB.MEM.AC01)
Method (_AC1, 0, NotSerialized)
                 Return (\_SB.MEM.AC11)

Is it safe to change them? Again, is there another way?