Inspiron 8600 having X troubles

Ben Nell enemy.cow at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 07:12:22 PST 2004

Hello All:

I recently upgraded my Dell Inspiron 8600 to fBSD 5.3 from 5.2.
Although there have been a few problems with software that I chalked
up to issues with the new version of gcc, my main problem has been
using X.org.

I had previously been using XFree86.  After the upgrade, I copied my
functional XF86Config file to /etc/xorg.conf.  The machine will freeze
completely, before switching to a graphical mode.  ctrl+alt+backspace
will not back out of  it, and I am unable to even SSH into the
machine.  Perhaps the strangest issue is that after I hard reboot,
there is no log in /var/log generated and my xorg.conf file is
truncated to an empty text file.  When no conf file is provided, X
will load a generic gui.

I have a mobile geforce card.  I used the Nvidia drivers installed
from ports.  I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers after the upgrade.

Perhaps this post is on the wrong list, but does anyone have any suggestions?

BN