suggestions wanted

Jules Gilbert julesg at newebmail.com
Sat Dec 11 08:13:17 PST 2004

I am in the market for a new laptop.  I am particularly interested in a
64-bit AMD based product, which a friend of mine now has on trial.

I want 1920 pixels (wow!, it is truely movie quality, too.)  Too bad I
am too busy to watch 'em...  Still, who wants not to have a DVD.  Not me...

I want something I can run FreeBSD on, WITH good support for both
"hotspot" type cards and also I expect to purchase a deal from either
Sprint or Cingular for use with one of the service deals they offer.

So I want a 64-bit (fast!) laptop with hi-res graphics, and support for
802.11x hot-spot style cards, (builtin being better than PCMCIA cards,)
and also a PCMCIA adaptor to accept an as-yet undetermined long-distance
cell-tower connection.

The rest is pretty usual, sound card, no floppies, etc...

Laptops seem to be moving to power supply arrangements which make it
impossible to run a laptop off of a car battery.  (Now one needs a power
inverter.)  I guess I am old-fashioned, I like the cigarette lighter as
a source of power.  If I have to drop something, I'll take a 32-bit
system.  But computing power is pretty important to me.

I have a preferrence of dealing with vendors that can deliver machines
WITHOUT windoz.  And will pay someone a little more for such equipment
if necessary.

So what comes to mind...

--jg