lexar usb media failure to attach

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu Dec 9 12:12:05 PST 2004

Dan Langille wrote:
> On 9 Dec 2004 at 8:29, Eric Anderson wrote:
>

>>Dan Langille wrote:
>>
>>>I purchased a USB memory device last week.   It looks like it won't
>>>work with FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE #1: Sun Jul 25 00:53:29 EDT 2004
>>>
>>>Nov 30 22:03:05 laptop /kernel: umass0: LEXAR MEDIA JUMPDRIVE ELITE, rev 2.00/20.00, addr
>>>Nov 30 22:09:20 laptop /kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): got CAM status 0x4
>>>Nov 30 22:09:20 laptop /kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
>>>Nov 30 22:09:20 laptop /kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
>>>Nov 30 22:09:20 laptop /kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
>>>
>>>Any ideas on what I can try?
>>
>>I had umass module loaded, and unloading it made this work for me.
>

> I have a slightly modified kernel, pretty close to GENERIC.  umass is
> included:
>
> device    umass     # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
>
> Are you saying you removed that from your kernel?

No - but I did just notice something odd.  Here's my kernel config USB
section:

# USB support
device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
##device                udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
#device         uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
#device         ukbd            # Keyboard
#device         ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          ums             # Mouse
#device         urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
device          uscanner        # Scanners
# USB Ethernet, requires mii
#device         aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
#device         axe             # ASIX Electronics USB ethernet
#device         cue             # CATC USB ethernet
#device         kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

Yet here's my kldstat:
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
  1   25 0xc0400000 4d42b8   kernel
  2    1 0xc08d5000 c9d8     ntfs.ko
  3    2 0xc08e2000 1f920    linux.ko
  4    1 0xc0902000 5f84     snd_ich.ko
  5    2 0xc0908000 204fc    sound.ko
  6    1 0xc0929000 5ae8     ugen.ko
  7    1 0xc092f000 4070     ums.ko
  8    1 0xc0934000 75e8     umass.ko
  9    1 0xc093c000 1d4dc    radeon.ko
10    2 0xc095a000 16ecc    netgraph.ko
11    1 0xc0971000 be34     ng_ubt.ko
12    1 0xc218e000 6000     linprocfs.ko
13    1 0xc2399000 3000     est.ko

It won't work unless I kldunload umass before plugging it in.

Eric