Susceptibility of Dell 8200 to thermal stress/fatigue?

Joseph Olatt joji at eskimo.com
Thu Dec 2 08:47:15 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 05:05:43PM -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:
<snip>

> Now, it looks as if the Dell Latitude C840 is fairly similar to the
> Inspiron 8200.  As far as running FreEBSD on the machine, are there any
> salient differences?
>
> And does anyone have any ideas as to how susceptible either is to
> thermal stress?

I've been running FreeBSD (exclusively) on a Dell Inspiron 8200 for
about 1 1/2  years now. My usage is not as heavy as yours, though.
Currently I'm running 5.3-STABLE and some of the issues that I have
are:

1. Interrupt storm on PCI bus and irq11 - I'm yet to figure out how to
resolve this one.
2. If you are using the parallel port, you need to put the lpt0 in
polled mode as opposed to using an IRQ (again, because of interrupt
storms).

Overall, it runs FreeBSD quite well. I suspect the Latitudes, geared for
the corporate user, are probably more robust with proven components.

regards,
--joseph