600E Audio problem (Solved!)

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sun Aug 22 19:32:38 PDT 2004

> Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:41:55 -0700
> From: Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org>
>
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 04:39:22PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Got it! And, boy, do I feel dumb.
> >
> > It turns out that the device in the 600E is a CS432X device and that
> > device uses the mss driver. So just modify your kernel config to
> > include:
> > device		sound
> > device		snd_mss
> > And make sure that snd_csa is NOT present as it will see another audio
> > component and try to connect to it as a CS4610. This would block the mss
> > driver from finding the audio chip.
> >
> > It's amazing what you find when you actually take the time to read the
> > source for the drivers.
>

> 	I'm surprised that you had to actually dig into the code
> 	to figure this out.  (Altho lots of times reading tthe source
> 	is drastically easier than wading thru obscure man pages:
> 	*sigh*)
>
> 	Hm.  Just checked NOTES; ISA, eh?  well, you said this was
> 	a strange one.
>
> 	Two questions if you're still at-keyboard at 17:30-18:00.
> 	First, is there a way to unload the csa *.ko via cmdline?
> 	Second, where should this be posted?  I'll add things to
> 	the FBSD laptop site in the 600E section;  but anywhere
> 	else?

If you loaded the module, you can use kldunload to unload it. If it's in
the kernel, you need to re-build the kernel. (If that's the case, you
can edit your config file and re-build as follows:
cd /usr/src
make -DMODULES_WITH_WORLD buildkernel KERNCONF=your_config_file
make -DMODULES_WITH_WORLD reinstallkernel KERNCONF=your_config_file

This will only rebuild te kernel and not the modules (which are not
affected by a config change) and install the newly built kernel OVER the
old one so the modules are still there. It also leaves kernel.old
unchanged. It will save a LOT of time on slower systems like the 600E.

I'm not sure of other places to add the information. This message gets
it into the mail archives, though.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)